Resources for researchers working with Indigenous communities.
These resources are in addition to our March 2019 workshop.
Synthesis paper from workshop: Macklin, C. D., Marchand, C., Mitchell, E., Price, R., Mitchell, V., & Bryant, L. (2021). Planting the Seeds: Insights for Researchers Interested in Working With Indigenous Peoples. International Journal of Indigenous Health, 16(1).
The following resources will be of value to researchers interested in working with Indigenous people on their patient-oriented research (POR) projects.
- Indigenous Community Research Partnerships (ICRP) - Online open education training resource from Queen's U
- CBC's 4-part series, "8th Fire" - Videos
- Aboriginal World Views and Education - Online course from U of Toronto via Coursera
- Indigenous Perspectives on Patient-Oriented Research - Dr. Charlotte Loppie (UVic), AbSPORU Capacity Development Summer Institute 2019 Opening Keynote Address recording
- Background context on Indigenous Health Research - Online Course or Training
- Research Involving First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples of Canada - Online webinar
- Cultural Safety and Cultural Humility - Online Webinars
- Fundamentals of OCAP - Online Course or Training
- Gathering Knowledge: Working with Indigenous Communities - Online Course or Training
- Cultural Safety and Humility Action Series 9 - Video
- First Peoples: A Guide for Newcomers - Document
- Indigenous Canada online course - Online Course or Training
- Indigenous cultural safety online training program - Online Course or Training
- Decolonizing community engagement - Web Link
- Pulling Together: A Guide for Front-line Staff, Students, and Advisors - Web Link
- Indigenous Foundations - Web Link
- Chapter 9 - Research Involving the First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples of Canada - Online Course or Training
- Planting the Seeds: Resource List - Document
- Considerations when paying patient partners in research - Website
- Communities as Patient Partners: Building Research Relationships with Indigenous Communities - Training
- Indigenous Research Ethics: Promoting & Practicing Ethical Research with Indigenous Peoples - Webinar Recording
- Apihtawikosisan - Indigenous Issues 101 - Web Link
- Indigenous Ways of Knowing - Online Modules
- Indigenous Research Ethics and Protocols (Dr. Malcolm King) - Webinar
- Structural Profile of Public Health in Canada: Indigenous Health - Web Link
- Indigenous Engagement and Cultural Safety Guidebook: A Resource for Primary Care Networks - Document
- Bringing Ethics Review Home to Cowichan: Indigenizing Ethics Review in British Columbia, Canada - Article
- “What and who is Two-Spirit?” in Health Research - Web Link
Interested in learning more about working with people from varied cultural backgrounds? Learn more on our Intercultural Competency Resources page.
Do you know of a resource that might be of value to this page, or would you like to learn more about working with Indigenous communities? Fill out our inquiry form to get in touch!