A Clinical Trial Management System (CTMS) is a critical tool for improving the clinical research process at both the site and institutional level. A CTMS maintains and manages planning, performing, and reporting functions, along with tracking participant visits, study milestones, and trial financial data. The use of a CTMS provides for easy and secure organization of this data in a centralized location so trials can run more efficiently.
A CTMS for British Columbia
Clinical Trials BC, as part of the BC Academic Health Science Network, is proud to provide provincial research organizations and their investigators with a provincially harmonized CTMS.
British Columbia’s CTMS incorporates the processes used to run clinical trials with cloud-based software that securely collects and stores trial data. Our vendor, RealTime Software Solutions, offers a variety of tools to help plan, manage, and maintain your clinical trial data for the entire duration of your study. The data is organized and presented in a user-friendly dashboard for research staff and will help improve clinical trials through ease of access to data and valuable reporting functions. RealTime’s robust financial tracking function ensures proper tracking of your account payables and receivables, resulting in increased cost recovery and improved reconciliation.
The overall program vision is to improve the management of clinical trials in BC, by becoming more efficient, streamlined, informed, and collaborative. The program has three key objectives:
Why Use a CTMS?
There are several benefits of a well-run CTMS, including:
- Real-time insight into operations: A central place for recording operational activity, offering easy access to important information
- Better financial management: Offers consistent budgeting, speeds up and improves revenue recovery
- Enhanced billing compliance: Allows for streamlined communications between all parties to support billing accuracy
- Efficient regulatory process: Tracks and manages regulatory information across the enterprise
- Increased efficiency: Integrated processes reduce the need for duplicate data entry, tracks staff effort
Benefits of a Province-Wide CTMS Program
- Common Clinical Trial Management processes and tools: Allows for improvements, efficiencies, and scalability
- Access to a ‘Collaborative Community’: Builds a robust community that discusses operations and shares best practices which allows for continuous improvement
- Lower cost per trial: The more trials conducted, the lower the cost per trial – combining the total number of trials from all health authorities allows for a better price point
- Provincial reporting: Provides a holistic view as to what trials are being managed in the province, and their outcomes
CTMS Program Structure
Full size image:
If your clinical trial site would like to join the CTMS Program, please contact the CTMS Admin for your participating organization as listed below:
Vancouver Coastal Health: Jason Sim
Fraser Health: Putri Rahmanputri
Interior Health: Tess Topor
Island Health: Christiana Goldeh
BC Cancer: Korin Yunker
BC Children’s and Women’s: Jennifer Claydon
For More Information
If you would like to receive occasional updates about the Provincial CTMS Program, you may subscribe to our distribution list here.
Current Participating Organizations:
BC Academic Health Science Network
Part of BC AHSN
Provincial Health Services Authority
BCCH Research Institute
BC Cancer Research
Interior Health Authority
Island Health Authority
Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute
Fraser Health Authority