Michael Smith Health Research BC
Michael Smith Health Research BC is British Columbia’s health research agency. We strengthen the province’s health research system by supporting the people, institutions and activities that generate and use research-based knowledge to promote, restore and maintain the health of British Columbians. Our ambition is to inspire and connect curious, creative and passionate minds to drive discovery and innovation in health research. And we are driven by the belief that health-related decision making should be informed by high quality research produced and used in an equitable, diverse and inclusive research system.
We are a team of dedicated professionals who care deeply about each other and our work. We believe in embracing diversity as a strength and core value, creating spaces that are inclusive of all peoples, and are grounded in our ongoing commitment to reconciliation and respect for Indigenous self-determination. We value a diverse workforce, reflective of different backgrounds, skillsets, perspectives and life experiences.
Our benefits package includes a pension plan, generous dental and health insurance, and a wellness allowance; our professional development policy supports you to learn and grow.
We have a hybrid work model. When you are in the office, our beautiful space offers views of False Creek, an outdoor patio (think summer barbecues!), a fitness centre, and it’s walking distance to restaurants and other amenities. Our social committee, Team Good Times, organizes events throughout the year.
If you are looking for meaningful work in a supportive environment, and you are inspired by making a difference in BC’s exceptional health research community, read on to learn more about the role we are looking to fill.
BC SUPPORT Unit
The BC SUPPORT (Support for People & Patient-Oriented Research & Trials) Unit is part of Michael Smith Health Research BC. The Unit supports, streamlines and increases patient-oriented research throughout BC. Patient-oriented research is done in partnership with patients, answers research questions that matter to patients, and aims to improve health care.
Passionate about telling the stories? Willing to roll up your sleeves to get the work done? Enjoy working in a dynamic, growing organization with a welcoming culture? Interested in health research and the various ways patients can inform how research gets done?
We are looking for a Manager, Marketing & Communications to build, lead, and implement broad marketing and communications strategies to engage and expand target audiences, and demonstrate outcomes and impacts of our programs. Reporting to the BC SUPPORT Unit Director, this is a mid-level manager role that provides strategic and tactical support and advice for marketing and communications to support the organization’s mandate to foster patient-oriented research.
The Manager, Marketing & Communications works collaboratively with other team members, volunteers, external consultants and vendors.
- Develop and execute communications plans for internal and external projects and activities led by the BC SUPPORT Unit.
- Develop and implement clear, consistent messaging for new projects and programs, in line with existing guidelines and brand voice.
- Collaborate with staff across the organization to promote the BC SUPPORT Unit’s work and its impact in BC.
- Build relationships with internal and external communications colleagues and stakeholders.
- Support the Unit Director with issues management, conducting research and developing messages in response to emerging issues.
- Plan and implement the Unit’s digital communications, such as e-newsletter and online publications, including liaising with graphic designers and content management contractors as required.
- Recommend and develop online engagement strategies for specific Unit programs and initiatives
- Provide strategic direction and recommendations to the Unit Director regarding website and digital channels.
- Curate and maintain all website content related to the BC SUPPORT Unit website.
- Provide day-to-day management of the Unit’s digital channels including content development, environmental scanning, maintenance and ongoing updates, and evaluation and analytics.
Content strategy and development:
- Work collaboratively with team members across the organization and external experts to develop a wide range of communications materials, both written and visual, that tell the Unit’s story (e.g. newsletter and web copy, blogs, interviews, speeches, marketing materials, social media content, presentations and reports).
- Provide support for event management and promotion including the development and implementation of communication strategies to raise awareness for the annual BC SUPPORT Unit Putting Patients First conference.
- Provide consultation and support for planned workshops, webinars, and meetings to ensure communication strategies are developed and deployed as needed.
Leadership and operations:
- Participate in the development of the BC SUPPORT Unit strategic plans.
- Develop the BC SUPPORT Unit strategic communication plan, working collaboratively with Health Research BC’s corporate communications and stakeholder relations team to ensure alignment.
- Support development and monitoring of relevant parts of departmental budget.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with members of Health Research BC’s marketing & communications team.
- Provide oversight and guidance to graphic designers and external contractors.
- Undergraduate degree in marketing, communications, journalism, digital media or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a communications role including 4 years of hands-on experience working with digital communications including social media.
- Demonstrated experiencing managing project timelines, external suppliers and contractors.
- Event planning communications experience an asset
- Work experience in a health care, research, or academic setting an asset.
- Graphic design experience an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a demonstrated ability to write in a variety of styles for a range of audiences, and to translate complicated scientific concepts into interesting and engaging content.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic and tactical communications plans, coupled with excellent copy-editing and proof-reading skills.
- Organized, with a proven ability to identify priorities, complete multiple tasks and deliver results on deadline; demonstrated ability to manage projects.
- Team player with ability to work in a collaborative manner with diverse groups and be flexible in response to evolving organizational needs.
- Experienced in building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders across various levels and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, and willing to learn.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in social media, including best practices and tools.
- Demonstrated ability to provide website management, including advanced editing skills using a content management system (WordPress preferred), content strategy, and usability.
- Comprehensive computer literacy including demonstrated intermediate level skills with Microsoft Office programs.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and multimedia practices (online video, podcasts, animation, music, online forums, chat, etc.)