***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Job Title: Coordinator, Research Approvals
Work Site: 2635 Laurel Street
Status: As soon as possible
Start Date: November 2021 to November 2023
Hours: 0830-1630. Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and Statutory Holidays
Come work as a Coordinator, Research Approvals with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Coordinator, Research Approvals to join the VCH Research Institute team at 2635 Laurel Street. Apply today to join our team!
The Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute (VCHRI) is the research body of Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH). VCH includes BC’s largest academic and teaching health sciences centres: VGH, UBC Hospital, and GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre. The majority of research is carried out within Vancouver Acute (VGH, UBCH and GF Strong); however, research is also being cultivated across other areas of VCH, including Vancouver Community, Richmond, and North Shore/Coast Garibaldi.
Reporting to the Director, Clinical Trials Administration, this position is responsible for the prompt processing of VCH operational research review submissions to VCHRI through all stages of review, approval and monitoring.
As a Coordinator, Research Approvals with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Advise faculty and researchers on health authority requirements for researching VCH and obtain approvals and documentation for their research study.
- Assist in navigating the complex research environment at VCH; assessing research studies for organizational impact, and ensure compliance with UBC and VCH policies and procedures.
- Educate, communicate and liaise effectively with faculty, researchers, and other research personnel regarding UBC and VCH processes and procedures related to research at VCH.
- Assess the proposed research study, reviewing the study for its clinical and organizational impact.
- Assist faculty, researchers and research personnel in understanding VCHRI requirements and facilitating the resolution of issues identified during the impact review process.
- Monitor status of outstanding VCH research applications and follows up as required.
- Ensure that research studies meet ongoing review and annual renewal requirements and resolve issues identified after a research study has received VCHRI approval.
- Maintain and update RISe and ReAcT databases and other electronic databases/systems as required, including lists for important contacts within the research community.
- Coordinate the maintenance of electronic and paper files to ensure timely and accurate record keeping; responsible for appropriate archiving of files (as required).
- Participate in the development and presentation of various workshops to the UBC and VCH communities.
- Prepare presentation material using MS PowerPoint.
- Assist in the development/modification, implementation, and communication of guidance documents, application forms and associated templates.
- Maintain and update relevant sections of the VCHRI website.
- Compile data/metrics relating to the VCH operational research approval process for reporting purposes.
- Provide support for clinical research operations meetings, including agenda development, distribution, and minutes and meeting logistics.
- Participate in external/internal working groups.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve, and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in relevant discipline.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of recent, related experience in research administration at an academic institution, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted.
- Demonstrated knowledge of health service delivery environment, as well as knowledge of UBC and VCH relevant research policies and procedures.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office software, including experience in working with Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint and updating PDF (electronic fillable) forms and various documents.
- Experience with databases; and able to compile various standard and ad-hoc reports as requested.
- Possesses sufficient computer literacy to become quickly conversant with the function of the Research Information System - Human Ethics (RISe), VCHRI Research Activity Tracking System (ReAcT)
- Flexibility to adapt this position to the requirements of these online systems/electronic databases, and future systems/databases, including the provincial Clinical Trials Management System.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Ability to relate to diverse audiences, including researchers, clinicians, front-line staff and health care managers and directors.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work on multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Facilitation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- A self- directed approach to work.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.